A Brief Look at the Macedonians from Greece



Dime Merakovski´s Autobiography
 Risto Stefov October 27, 2011

I was born on March 12th, 1938 in the village Kladorobi, Lerin Region, Aegean (Greek occupied) Macedonia. I lived in turbulent times and poverty through the Second World War and through the Greek Civil War and spent my childhood in my native village until I left for Australia at age 17. 

The Greek fascist terror in Greek occupied Macedonia forced many Macedonian families to leave their native homes and find shelter and peace abroad. My family was one of those families at the forefront of Greek terror.


Because of war and because of political turmoil in the region, my father fled the village in 1946 and crossed the border to Yugoslavia. Even though he was never involved with the Partisans and was not a fighter, he was still sentenced to death in absentia for fleeing. Greek fascism had no limit to how far it extended its terror on innocent families, even to family members who had done nothing wrong. First the Greeks arrested my mother, leaving her six children alone to the mercy of fate. If that was not punishment enough for our family, the Greek state ordered the houses of all families that had family members who had fled to Yugoslavia or had family members fighting on the Partisan side to be burned down. 

When the soldiers came to burn down our house, they were told that the same house also belonged to my uncles, separate families who had done nothing wrong. So rather than burning the entire house, the soldiers decided to burn the barn attached to the house in which my family kept some goats. There was systematic intimidation by the Greek state against families which had family members fighting on the Partisan side. 

The Greeks continuously put pressure on these families by threatening to exile them from their own country. After the Greek Civil War was over, there was no longer a place to live in our birthplace or a future for my family or for many other Macedonian families which were in the same position. The abuse was too great to bear so in 1948 one of my older brothers left our hometown and went to Australia to join one of our uncles who had gone to Australia in 1936. Shortly afterwards, in 1951, another brother left for Australia. Then they were joined by my father in 1953, who up to this time was living in the Republic of Macedonia, then part of the Yugoslav Federation. My mother and I left our beloved village last and went to Australia in 1955 to join the rest of our family. At age 17 I was neither young enough to go to school nor old enough to go to work but I managed to do both. 

I enrolled myself in evening courses to learn English at night and worked in a low paying job during the day. I was a minor and because of that I could only find work that paid half the wages of an adult. After landing in Australia I began to search for Macedonian clubs and associations in the vicinity of where I lived in hopes of learning more about Macedonia and the Macedonian people. In the Fitzroy settlement in Melbourne, I found Macedonians who had started a Macedonian organization called "Macedonian-Australian People's Union". They gathered in a building known as the Dalmatian Club located at 52-54 Young Street, a building that I would visit often and talk to all kinds of people including some who were much older than me. I saw a Macedonian newspaper there for the first time. It was printed in the Macedonian language but with Latin letters. 

The newspaper was published by the "Macedonian-Australian People's Union" (MANS) and was called "Makedonska Iskra" (Macedonian Spark). In addition to the newspaper I also discovered a Macedonian magazine available and sold there called "Makedonija" published by the "Matitsa na Isilenitsite" (authority of the House of Immigrants) in Macedonia. I very much wanted to read the magazine, but unfortunately I was not familiar with the Macedonian script. I desperately wanted to read the magazine and other Macedonian printed matter so I sought help from my new friends the so-called "Refugee Children from the Aegean part of Macedonia" who came to Australia from the Republic of Macedonia and from other parts of Yugoslavia where they had learned to read and write in the Macedonian language. With their help I quickly learned the Macedonian alphabet and immediately began to read. I then subscribed to "Makedonija" and continued to receive it until it went out of print in 2001. 

I had a great desire to visit all of Macedonia ever since I thought of visiting the Republic of Macedonia in 1958. But because I had come to Australia as a Greek citizen with a Greek passport and was not yet an Australian citizen, I needed travel approval from the Greek state or from its agencies abroad. My requests unfortunately were ignored by the Greek Consul in Melbourne and I had to wait 5 years, until 1960, after which I became an Australian citizen and obtained an Australian passport. After the Melbourne based Macedonian Organization MANS was closed down in 1957, its members and activists incorporated a new Organization called "Macedonian Orthodox council for Melbourne and Victoria," which was also based at 52-54 Young Street. Later the coporation bought a building which it planned to demolish and build a church in its place. The church foundation was laid on August 2nd, 1959 and as it turned out, this was the first Macedonian church to be built in the diaspora. The church was named "St. George" and was consecrated on August 2nd, 1960 by His Eminence Zletovsko-Strumichki Metropolitan Naum who arrived from the Republic of Macedonia accompanied by the secretary of the Macedonian Orthodox Church, Archpriest-stavrofor Nestor Popovski. At that time I too was involved with the group responsible for building the church.

Having received my Australian citizenship in June 1960, I immediately took steps to restore my proper Macedonian family name, after which I applied for my Australian passport. When I informed the managers of St. George that I was going to Macedonia, they asked me to take with me the various photoalbums of the church´s conscration and deliver them to specific people in Skopje, which I did. I left Australia early in November 1960 for a long journey that lasted 18 months. My first destination was Egypt, where I stayed for a month. Then I traveled to the Republic of Macedonia and from there to Bulgaria, Russia, Czechoslovakia, Turkey and back again to Macedonia. During the month of November 1961 I met and developed a relationship with Milka Shekjeroska from Varosh, Prilep, which in time led to our marriage. Then in May 1962, my wife and I left Macedonia on a one-month tour of Italy and after that we returned to my second homeland, Australia. Upon my return to Australia I joined the Macedonian Church and National Movement in which I am still active to this day. 

In my younger years I served in the St. George administration and committees in Melbourne and participated as a delegate in the First National Clergy Conference of Macedonians from Australia, held in Melbourne in January 1971, which established the diocesan Executive Board of the Macedonian Orthodox Diocese of Australia. I was also a delegate at the Macedonian Municipalities Conference in Australia, held in Melbourne in 1977, the diocesan assemblies and the Australian-New Zealand Macedonian Orthodox Diocese. I took several trips to Macedonia and to the neighbouring countries, whose borders are part of our partitioned Macedonia, during which I learned much about the overall situation in Macedonia and of the Macedonian people living there. 

In Australia I have been active in the Macedonian movements and have paid attention to the missions of the Macedonian Orthodox Church saints. I have also learned much about the current Macedonian Orthodox mission in Australia which, at times, is full of intrigues. My motivation to write my book "Istoria na Izmameni Vernitsi" came from this knowledge. Dime (Jim) Merakovski, Melbourne, Australia Jim´s autobiography was taken from his self-published book entitled "Istoria na Izmameni Vernitsi", Melbourne, 2007. p. 371-375. 

 Translated and edited by Risto Stefov.    

Comments